🌱 Local Business Gasoline Leak + West Nile Virus in Fulton County
Hello everyone. It’s me, Sean Peek, your Alpharetta-Milton Daily host – here to bring you all the big stuff happening locally. Let’s go.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Wet with some sun. High: 93 Low: 74.
Here are the top five Alpharetta-Milton stories today:
- On Friday, July 22, Colonial Pipeline Co., an Alpharetta-based company, reported a leak of approximately 2 million gallons of gasoline at a North Carolina nature preserve in August 2020. The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality will receive a $5 million settlement from Colonial Pipeline for the leak. Part of the agreement requires Colonial Pipeline to complete the ongoing recovery and restoration of the site. (Tribune of Mooresville)
- Georgia Board of Health officials recently found more West Nile virus-infected mosquitoes in Fulton County and issued a warning. Authorities expect to spray within half a mile of each of the infected areas, in the Grant Park and Washington Park neighborhoods, where they found the mosquitoes in traps. Officials strongly recommended that residents of Fulton County check their property and empty any containers that may contain standing water. (CBS News 46)
- When classes begin Aug. 8, Fulton County schools will have eight new principles. The recently announced leadership changes affect three high schools, four elementary schools and one middle school. (Atlanta Journal Constitution)
- Do you have a big family? If you answered yes, check out an open house on July 30 for a gorgeous seven-bedroom home in Alpharetta! See the link to see all upcoming open houses in the Alpharetta-Milton area. (Alpharetta-Milton Patch)
- A Mega Millions ticket purchased at Alpharetta won $10,000 in the July 26 draw. Nearby, also in the July 26 draw, another Mega Millions ticket purchased in Canton won $10,000. (Georgia Lottery)
Today at Alpharetta Milton:
- Alley of Alpharetta Food Trucks At Old Roswell Street (5:00 p.m.)
- John McKnight Live At the Smokejack BBQ (6:00 p.m.)
- Annual Halcyon’s Got Talent Contest To (6:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- At the special meeting on July 25, Milton City Council has approved a moratorium for the district of Mayfield until December 20. Click here to view the full meeting summary. (Facebook)
- Don’t miss the “Georgia Wildlife Journey” on July 30 at the Fulton County Library System! This is an hour-long educational program that focuses on the animals that live in the Georgian Piedmont. Click here for more information. (Facebook)
- Taffer’s Tavern, a restaurant in Alpharetta, is opening a second address! See the link for more details. (High W)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Inspire Women Expo-2022 (July 30)
- Steven Quartly Annual Summertime Artist Show (July 30)
- Corporate Therapy Rocks Lucky’s in Roswell! (July 30)
- ATL Salsa Latin Dinner & Night @ Tonys Johns Creek July 30 (July 30)
- A music festival (July 31)
- Breast ultrasound screening comes directly to you! (August 2nd)
- Retirement Tax Seminar (August 8)
- Add your event
Concerts and Services:
You are officially informed for today! I will be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a writer, editor, SEO specialist and marketing manager for various digital media companies. He is currently co-owner and operator of content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.