🌱 The Duct Tape Festival is coming soon + List of local restaurants
Hello, neighbors! It’s Sunday in Avon-Avon Lake and I’m back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Shower and thunderstorm. High: 79 Low: 63.
Here are today’s top three stories at Lake Avon-Avon:
- It’s time to celebrate duct tape at Avon! The 2022 Festival is less than a week away. From June 16-18, come to Mercy Health Stadium to eat some great food, grab a cold drink, do a duct tape craft, see the duct tape sculptures, and have fun. There will be inflatables, music, a beer tent, ax throwing, a parade and photos with superheroes. Don’t miss this unique celebration. Hope to see you there. (Heritage Duct Tape Festival via Facebook).
- Local workers feel they are not getting their fair share of the jobs available to dismantle an old power plant in Avon Lake. So they took to the streets to protest on Friday. According to a Cleveland 19 news article, “Ryan McDavid of Labor Local 758 said, ‘When you have community workers or local workers, they take pride in what they do, they care about our communities. and the work being done. Asbestos removal is very dangerous and when it is not done well you can put the community, parks, waterways at risk, so it is very important to use our local workforce. The Cleveland 19 article said a spokesperson for Avon Lake Environmental Redevelopment Group, a subsidiary of Charah Solutions (the company dismantling the plant), said hiring local workers was the one of his priorities. “ALERG has launched an open bidding process for work taking place at the plant and we have continued to engage with local unions throughout this process.” (Cleveland 19)
- The Steakhouse Restaurant in Avon and Taki’s Greek Cuisine in Avon Lake both made the Cleveland Scene’s list of “40 Essential Suburban Cleveland Restaurants to Add to Your Dining Calendar.” Steakhouse was highlighted for its atmosphere, housed in a 160-year-old Pennsylvania Dutch barn, with an open kitchen and spacious loft dining area. The Cleveland Scene article also stated, “Top-notch steaks and chops share the menu with less conventional steakhouse fare, like smoked chicken, pasta bolognese, and horseradish-crusted grouper.” Taki’s Greek cuisine has been highlighted for its “contemporary Greek cuisine”. The Cleveland Scene article states, “From dips to dessert, Diamantis (the restaurant’s chef) treats his ingredients with the care and attention they deserve, resulting in dishes that are shiny, clean, fresh and full of life. .” (Cleveland Scene)
From my notebook:
- Lake Avon Police Department: “Did you know? The Avon Lake Police Field Training Program is made up of eight veteran officers with 140 years of combined experience. Our field training officers go through a rigorous screening process.” (Avon Lake Police Department via Facebook)
- FIDO Companion Rescue Inc.: “Leo is the best man at his parents’ wedding. Thank you Gabby for making this possible for them.” (Fido’s Companion Rescue Inc. via Facebook)
- Cleveland Clinic: “Some like it with ice. Some like it hot with a slice of lemon. And some of us are fine with anything from the tap. But the temperature of the water we drink does it have a positive or negative effect on our health? ? (Cleveland Clinic via Instagram)
- FIDO Companion Rescue Inc.: “Lorain County Kennel New Admission – Needing Dental – Please Consider Donating!” (Fido’s Companion Rescue Inc. via Facebook)
- Avon Lions Club: “Thank you to all the wonderful sponsors of the Avon Lions Club Fishing Tournament. Be sure to support these local Avon businesses.” (Avon Lions Club via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Karena Garry
About me: Journalism is in my veins. I have been a community journalist for most of the past 20 years. I love Ohio and am honored to be part of Patch.com. You can reach me at; email@example.com.
Do you have a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Avon-Avon Lake Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org